Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Second Homes

As we are winding down to our last few passion posts, I thought I would dedicate the remaining ones to my favorite parts of my hometown. For this post I'd like to focus on the two places that have helped me develop into the person I am today: Trinity School and Mount de Sales Academy.

From kindergarten to eighth grade I attended Trinity School, where I managed to make some of my best friends and experience some of my best days.

Trinity is an independent private catholic school located in Ellicott City, Maryland. It was founded by the Sisters of Notre de Namur, who are still heavily involved running the school.

One of my most important role models in my life is Sister Catherine, a nun who has spent the past 45 years serving as Trinity’s president, helping to shape the lives and touch the hearts of every person she meets. One of my favorite events hosted by Sister is the annual, fall Turtle Derby. In honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals, Sister allows students to bring in their pet turtles to race against each other for a trophy and other prizes. Even after I left Trinity, my friends and I would return to take part in the annual Turtle Derby and celebration of the life of Saint Francis Assisi.

Myself, Sister Catherine, and my friend, Lauren, at our First Communion.
At Trinity, I made life-long friends and I learned a lot about myself. I developed a deep love for literature and writing, I learned that I enjoy cross-country and track, and through my many volunteer opportunites at Trinity, I learned how great it feels to help others. My personal favorite service event was the toy drive for Parents and Children Together (PACT). This organization provides medical care and aid to disabled children, whether mentally or physically, as well as mothers who may not be able to take care of their babies on their own. From kindergarten to my senior year in high school, my mom would organize groups of my friends to collect toys from our classmates and bring them to the children at PACT. We would wear Santa hats and decorate the building with holiday cheer, bringing a smile to all of the kids’ faces.

My dad, my mom, and myself being honored for our work with PACT.

 Through Trinity I was able to develop as a person and learn about what the things that are most important to me. These values continued to stay with me throughout the next step in education at Mount de Sales Academy.

Mount de Sales Academy is all-girls, private, Catholic school located in Catonsville, Maryland. It was founded in 1852 and originally served as a convent for the Franciscan nuns. However, today it is an amazing school and a place I would call my second home.

At Mount de Sales I was able to grow and thrive and gain a better sense of who I really am. I ran cross-country, indoor track, and outdoor track all for years and that was certain ally one of my favorite experiences. I made lasting friendships with my teammates and learned to push myself even when things got tough.

The Varsity Cross Country team poses for a picture after we one our meet.
Another one of my favorite memories is the annual Spirit Day. All of the classes dress up in their class colors and take each on in games such as dodge ball, football, and tug-of-war. My favorite part of the day is twisted tunes. Each class picked a song and rewrote the lyrics to describe their time at Mount de Sales. We worked on the lyrics and the choreography all year, building up to the final competition.

My friends at I dressed in red for Spirit Day.
My friends and I wearing the traditional white dress on graduation.
Of course, I love Penn State very much but Trinity and Mount de Sales Academy will always hold a special place in my heart and I will be forever grateful for the friendships, values, and sense of identity that they have provided for me.

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe I've had the pleasure to read your blog, but what a wonderful post this was. I loved seeing your life through photographs, it seems like a wonderful childhood experience that you are very lucky to have had. I completely understand where you're coming from when you say that your old schools will always be near and dear to you heart I feel the same way about mine, you induced a great sense of nostalgia in me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your ever burning love for your alma mater, whether you have just come to this love or have had it all your life. Isn't funny, that now looking back on our education thus far, we have grown very fond of it? I do not know about you, but many of my classmates and I were just waiting to get out of the "prison cell" of high school. Now, looking back on it, much like you have expressed, I just feel as though I have a million thank yous to give and many amazing memories to talk about.

    ReplyDelete