Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Day at Camden Yards

The crowd buzzes with excitement as a sea of fans clad in orange and black file into Oriole Park at Camden Yards to cheer on their beloved Orioles. The smell of Boog Powell’s famous sandwiches fill the air as fans eagerly crack peanuts waiting for the game to begin.  Camden Yards was the nation’s first new ballpark to embody the history and tradition of baseball in a modern, high tech facility.  Many have since modeled the innovative architecture of this ballpark.

Above is a picture of Camden Yards, the beloved home of the Orioles.

  Camden Yards opened with the streak of Iron Man, Cal Ripken Jr., who broke Lou Gehrig’s streak for consecutive games played, a record that lasted 56 years.  After Cal’s retirement, the team entered into a slump marked by 14 losing seasons. During those years the seats of Camden Yards were often empty and the names of the players little known to fans of Baltimore. Still, diehard supporters dreamed of returning to the good old days, such at 1964-1983 and the mid 90's, when the Orioles won nine division championships and three World Series. During these times, the Orioles were lucky to have super star athletes such as Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Rick Dempsey, Eddie Murray, and, of course, Cal Ripken Jr.

Well, the Orioles returned to their winning ways in 2012, thrilling their loyal Baltimore fans. Today the Orioles have regained and energized their huge fan base who cheer their team rain or shine. With big name players such as Manny Muchado and Chris Davis, Golden Glove fielders and an ace pitching staff, the Orioles have become a power house in the American League East Division clinching the division title in 2014.


The Orioles celebrate an exciting victory at Camden Yards.

But Oriole baseball is about much more than winning and losing records, it's about the community joining together to support their city. Personally, I miss piling into the car with my Orioles shirt and bucket hat and sitting under the lights of Camden Yards feeling the energy and excitement of the crowd as we all come together to support our team and our city!

Although it is the crowd that brings Camden Yards to life, the stadium itself has plenty to offer. From great food, including local delicacies such as crab cakes and Natty Bo beer, to free gifts, Oriole Park is sure to put a smile on anyone's face. My personal favorite is The Boog Powell BBQ sandwich, piled high with pit beef and owned by the former Orioles first baseman. Not only is the food delicious, but the famous baseball player makes several appearances to meet with fans, sign autographs, and pose for pictures.
Casey and myself pose for a picture with former first baseman, Boog Powell.

Finally, I am most touched by the mutual support and bond between the players, fans, and city of Baltimore. A fan's willingness to sit in the pouring rain during extra innings or in the blistering heat during a tough game never goes unappreciated. Whether it's a free gift, a firework show, or a charity event, Oriole Park at Camden Yards knows how to show love and gratitude for the fans of the Orioles.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/oriolepark/history.jsp

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=history

5 comments:

  1. This is super well written and detailed! I can't wait to learn more about Maryland from your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality first post! I love the way you're going about this blog, providing insight on one specific piece of Baltimore each week. The post was well written and certainly accomplished its mission of informing me about Maryland. I'm a baseball fan, but I didn't really know much about the Orioles before this blog; now I feel like I grew up at this stadium! You did an excellent job of providing enough detail about the setting to make me feel like I was at the park. Well done, and I'm curious to see what you choose to write about next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well count me in for a game! It seems like a really exciting place infused with Baltimore culture, instead of just a baseball stadium stuck into a city. Time to get myself a BBQ sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your narrative style and specific personal feelings easily drew me into your blog. I can't say that I am interested whatsoever in baseball, but you still managed to keep my attention throughout your post. My only critique is that I felt that in some areas of the first and second paragraphs the grammar is slightly off. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your post was so personal. I can tell how much you love your hometown and I am excited to read on because you are so passionate about the topic of your blog. You really do a good job pulling the reader in and making the reader feel as if they are actually experiencing the events you are describing.

    ReplyDelete